Thursday, March 18, 2010

Edible or Not



Six days ago I got 12 new baby chicks. I started out with 2 full grown laying hens last Fall as an experiment to see if I wanted to invest in a larger group and sell the eggs. I have loved it and looked forward to these little ones ever since. I really don't know what to expect as I have never had chicks before. I had them in a large metal tub, on a table, inside a chain link dog kennel inside my garage to keep them safe from my two dogs. In six days they have doubled in size, the little things are growing so fast I can't keep their feeder full of food. Today I went out to get in my car and one of them was perched on the top of the tub, and my dog was just waiting.... I had to revamp my entire set up to keep the little guys safe. Lucky for me today the chicks are not edible. As for the dogs, I am sure they are disappointed.

8 comments:

  1. Those are waaaaaayyyyyyy too cute to eat...I could never raise chicks, I would keep them all for pets LOL What a cute image...goes well w/ Easter coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for the record I am not raising these chicks to eat, they are laying hens. When they pass on they will each have a grave in my yard. I don't mind eating meat from the store but if I give it a name I can't eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awe, NICE SAVE!I'm so glad one of my doberman's isn't interested in eating others. Only the little one do I have to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chicks are certainly not edible for me! Glad your dog didn't succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One look at those faces and there would be no way you can possibly think of them as food!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up on a farm, and I do like chicks. Another great low-light exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice image! Although it was this type of concept that made my daughter a vegetarian!

    ReplyDelete